Google

Murphys of Mullaghbawn

Michael Murphy left Mullaghbawn in South Armagh for Liverpool at the start of the 20th century. It was here he married Mary Pender. This is the story of their nine daughters and one son, their children and grandchildren. "Cead Mille Failte"

Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Introduction - The First Posting

Hi Everybody,
This is what is known as a weB Log - or Blog for short. You may already be familiar with this web technology - but it is a way to present news and to communicate between families - and setting up a blog website is free - on www.blogger.com anyway!
To encompass all the Murphy families, I entitled the blog "Murphys of Mullaghbawn" which is the common thread for all of us. This is my first go at this, so I welcome all suggestions on improving the template, layout, content etc. Picture on left if Michael Murphy(Big Dah) and wife Mary with their children: Susan, Molie & Josie. (Anyone know the year?)
All family members can post comments, which can include family news, photos, up and coming events - anything. People may wish to share addresses, or inform of recent marriages, engagements, or if anyone of us are ill. Due to the size of the extended family, sadly a lot of these events have been missed. If you are setting up your own websites feel free to advertise. Also, if any family members wish to advertise their business then go ahead. Let me know if you need any help
You can also add links(URLs) to other related sites. You may wish to pass the blog address onto close friends of your families, who may want to post a comment.
We could also introduce a 'history of the family' feature each week or month - as we trace the movement of the family from Mullaghbawn to Liverpool - I am sure Des Herlihy could help out here. So to add a comment, click on 'comment' at the end of a particular posying you wish to comment on. Happy Blogging everyone. God Bless, Cormac

9 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger DocMurf said...

I am sorting out photos. These must be stored at a URL address so the blogger software can access them.

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looking forward to the photos...

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great site.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan Fogarty here. My mother, Josie is being held by her mother and I would guess that she's about 6 months old. It's her birthday today, 30 June (1908) so that must mean that the photo was taken either December 1907 or January 1908.

Love

xx

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone:

I am Beverley Murphy
(grand-daughter of Susan Murphy
(I believe the eldest child of Michael & Mary Murphy (who is sitting in front of her father in this early picture of the start of a very large family!!!)

My father, Francis Murphy, the only child of Susan unfortunately passed away on December 11, 1996. My mother Valerie, still lives in Runcorn, Cheshire.

Susan also had a grand-son, Tony, who is father to 4 daughers, Lauren, Megan (twins), Olivia and Dana.

I moved to Toronto, Canada in 1989 where I live with my husband Mark MacLeod and our two sons, Thomas and Jack.

We were sorry that we couldn't make it to the reunion as it was my youngest son, Jack's 2nd birthday on May 27th and my mother was over in Toronto visiting us at that time.

I have though got to meet Des Herlihy and other members of the the family a couple of years ago with my mother and it was really interesting to get to know about our family tree.

Hopefully we will get to meet more of the clan in the near future.

Regards,

Beverley, Valerie & Tony Murphy

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger DocMurf said...

Thanks for that Susan! God Bless, Cormac

 
At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim Herlihy in San Francisco here:

Last month's reunion was the second I attended and it was great to catch up with cousins. Especially fun to connect with the next generation of cousins' kids who were on hand.

When I tell friends that we had close to 160 relations at the family gathering they are awestruck ! Not many families can pull that off.

Kudos to Cormac for creating this BLOG - another point of connection.

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger DocMurf said...

Great to hear from Susan, Michael and Jim(our furthest contributor so far!), and a special thanks to Beverley, Granddaughter of Aunty Susie. Beverley, if you have any photos of your family, including your father Francis that you would like displayed on the Murphy site, please email them to me. The family would love to see them. And any old ones of your Grandma (Aunty Susie) would be great. I would much appreciate it.
God Bless
Cormac

 
At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great website! I am cousin of
the murphy's and gomez side.
Laura Murphy-nee gomez is Great Aunt. My grand mom was leah Houghton-nee gomez. My father
is danny houghton sr. Joan is
aunt. that is my father's sister.
I live in new jersey.
I work in new york city also
that is where I was born.
Keep in touch
cousin Danny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home